Growing up in Southern California, and having such a big family that lives in Hawaii, my summers consist of large overdoses in Vitamin D and Vitamin Sea. I try to visit as often as I can, but it never seems like it’s long enough. Sadly, the tan lines fade, but thankfully the memories never do.
I’m really blessed to have such an awesome family, and get to spend a few weeks out of the summer in Paradise soakin up some Vitamin D. Despite all the chaos of a few close calls with some hurricanes, and two car accidents; I had a blast. I’m so thankful that I get to call this beautiful paradise my 2nd home.
Here’s some of my local favorites:
- Ono Ono Shaved Ice – Hawaiians have got major skills in the shaved ice department. This place was one of my favorites on the island.
- Java Kai – they have the best iced chai teas on the island. They offer a pretty good selection of coffees and pastries. It’s a trendy little place, decorated with local art & merchandise; tucked into the heart of Kapaa.
- Hula Girl– maybe I’m a little biased but I love the Hawaiian vibe of the store and they offer some great souvenirs. It also happens to be my aunt’s store, so if you’re in the area you should go check it out. It’s right off the main highway in Kapaa
- Humari’s Saimen– this is a must stop. It’s a local hangout, and definitely one of my favorites to eat at when I’m in town. This place is usually packed, and you’ll have to fight for a seat at one of the crowded tables. But they have the best authentic Saimen-seriously Top Ramen’s got nothing on them.
- Olivine Beach Boutique – this is a really cute shop, perfect for souvenirs
- Tortilla Republic – they have a BOMB happy hour. Pretty good margaritas and great appetizers.
- Lappert’s – okay I don’t mess around when it comes to ice cream. And I’m telling you, this place is legit amazing. My mouth is watering just thinking about the ice cream. My personal favorite was their Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough.
- Mahina’s – they’ve got some really cute beach dresses and awesome jewelry.